Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Burn, Cheeto, Burn

I’m not sure if you’ve been watching the new season of “Orange Is the New Black” yet or not. I have been. But I will say this is the first season I haven’t binged all at once in one weekend. I still have the final four episodes to watch. The kind folks over at Autostraddle have asked me to a review a couple of the episodes. The first one is of episode 506 – you know, the one with the Cheetos. (Appropriately named “Flaming Hot Cheetos, Literally.”) You can check out my review here.

While the season may have some real tonal and thematic problems (and, it does), I did appreciate how the episode evoked – even if only for a moment – the emotions so many of us have felt about the state of our world. In explaining her grief about Poussey, Soso also described – intentionally or more likely not – the kind of grief many of us feel about what’s happening in America. Or, at least it did for me. Everyone is different and everyone responds to art different. And that’s kind of the beauty of the thing.

Anyway, I’d appreciate if you gave it a read and feel free to agree or disagree with me in the comments.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I'm glad to hear you will be reviewing more episodes. I miss reading your pieces

Unknown said...

Hi Friend Your Blog is Very Nice
Hello Guys Welcome to India Luxury Tours is a Best Travel Company in India Include a Best India Luxury Tours in Delhi, Travel Company Agent in India All Luxury Car and Bus, Volvo Coaches all India Travel and Any Tours and Events Best Services Provide by 24*7 Hours
India Luxury Tours in Delhi