Tuesday, April 07, 2015

More, More, More

So, you know how I’m an enormous lezzie, right? Well if you’ve been here any length of time you also know I’m an enormous feminist. I think the two go hand-in-hand, actually. The thought of separating myself into identity compartments that never overlap or interplay is ludicrous. Anyway, you know this already of course because it’s the same for you. That’s why we’re all here hanging out in the first place.

So given that context it gives me great pleasure to announce that I’ve started writing for Indiewire’s fantastic Women and Hollywood, run by the tireless Melissa Silverstein. I’ll be their queer columnist and write a couple times a month for the site.

Don’t worry, I’m still going to be writing and recapping for AfterEllen. And I’m still gonna keep typing up my brain rambles here of course.

I’d appreciate it greatly if you’d hop over to Women and Hollywood and take a look (and leave a comment if so inclined) at my first column. In it I tackle the essential lesbian entertainment question: “Do we need another ‘L Word?’” A sampling:

The urgency to see ourselves reflected on the TV screen isn’t as great because we’re already there. Sure, we may not be there en masse in one show, but we’re on so many others we are no longer so desperate we’ll drink the sand. And, just as crucially, the diversity of lesbian and bisexual female characters has increased.
You can read the whole thing here. Thanks, as always, for stopping by and reading the crazy things that go through my head.

As a further thanks, here’s Anne Hathaway singing “Wrecking Ball” to Emily Blunt. First the grinding. Now this. I just, I just think we live in such wondrous times.

5 comments:

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Congrats on the new gig!

Carmen SanDiego said...

Of course! I'll go wherever you will go!
...
And now I will be singong The Calling in my head for the rest of the day...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's a great site, glad you are now a part of it!

Helena said...

Congratulations and will follow you there - but please ,please do not stop your blog. You just always manages to put into words what I feel :)

Panty Buns said...

I just finished reading your post titled "Do We Need Another 'L Word'" on Women and Hollywood. For me, the answer is unequivocally YES!!! I am now watching the entire six seasons of "The L Word" on NetFlix for the third time and am halfway through watching "Lost Girl" for the third time. When I do a search for "Lesbian" on NetFlix they only show six results. Worse, in NetFlix preferences on their site, they don't have a separate preference for Lesbian - only one 'Gay and Lesbian' query about how often (Often Sometimes or Never) choice. I get very tired of looking at primarily male faces. I miss "The L Word". Recently I saw a YouTube video promotion on ClubSkirtsDinahSShores's Channel for the Dinah that featured short spots with Leisha Hailey, Kate Moennig and other "The L Word" stars. They're still around. I miss seeing them in new movies and episodes. I NEED another "The L Word".

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/