Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Tank Top Tuesday: Prima Ballerina Edition

Yes, I know, this is an ad. Yes, I know, a sports bra is not a tank top. I know, I know. But still, DAYUM. I love any message that tells women strength and grace and beauty and athleticism are not mutually exclusive ideas. We can be what we want. Or, as they and us to awkwardly say, I will what I want. I am going to let the grammar slide because, you know, DAYUM.

Misty Copeland is an extraordinary choice for this new campaign for a brand more associated with sweaty football players. She is only the third African American female soloist selected for the American Ballet Theatre. And, like the ad said, she started dancing way late in dancing years – at the hefty age of 13. She willed it and wanted it and look at her now. As I was saying, DAYUM.

p.s. A leotard is just a tank top that didn’t know when to quit. So, um, this totally counts.


[Click to embiggen the DAYUM]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dorothy! I discovered Misty and this ad a few days ago and have watched it several times. DAYUM! is right. Thank you for highlighting!

Anonymous said...

Dancers, particularly ballet dancers, are told all the time that their bodies are not right. And some persevere and go on to have careers with regional or local companies. What is remarkable about Misty is that she (1) started so late (for a ballet dancer), (2) ended up at ABT which is a highly regarded national company, and (3) is a soloist with potential to be a principal someday. A truly extraordinary combination of guts and genetics. And she seems like a lovely woman, as well.

Anonymous said...

Read her biography! Strong body, strong spirit.

Anonymous said...

Goodness! Thanks for posting this, Dorothy.

Carmen SanDiego said...

"A leotard is just a tank top that didn’t know when to quit."
I laughed out loud

Anonymous said...

Carmen SanDiego said...
"A leotard is just a tank top that didn’t know when to quit."
I laughed out loud

That is PRECISELY what I was going to say!!!