Friday, August 15, 2014

My Weekend Crush

So earlier this week I was rewatching “Far From Heaven” and I noticed, really noticed, who was playing Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid’s maid. It was Viola Davis. I’d just never paid attention before. Which is terrible, but true. So watching now, knowing who she is, I was struck once more by how limiting our preconceived notions of people can be. This stunning actress who had won a freaking Tony the year before was the blink-and-you’ll-miss-her maid in “Far From Heaven.” Jesus. I know there’s been a lot of discussion in the African-American community (and some outside it) about Viola later being nominated for an Oscar for also playing a maid. But all roles are not created equal and I’d never fault her for taking any of her roles. I fault a system which cannot see past color or size or age or gender to sexual orientation to tap into talent. Talent is talent, no matter the form. But this also makes me doubly happy that Viola gets to sink her teeth into something extra meaty with her new ABC series “How To Get Away With Murder.” Sure, the premise (and characters) seem morally ambiguous at best. But, come on, it’s Shonda Rhimes. Shit’s gonna be good. Also, since I have already done a regular Weekend Crush on Viola, please consider this a crush on her arms. They deserve all the screentime they can get. Happy weekend, all.

1 comment:

Erin O'Riordan said...

Viola Davis is gorgeous. I hope TV is good to her. This past TV season was pretty rough on African-American actresses (Person of Interest, True Blood, we're looking at you). Here's to hoping for a reversal of that trend.