Monday, February 13, 2012

Whitney, always

Sometimes I don’t really know what to say. The second album I ever bought, with my very own money with my very own hands, was Whitney Houston’s 1985 debut, “Whitney Houston.” It was a tape – come on, that was cutting edge in 1985. That small rectangular box filled with untold delights. I remember taking the cellophane off the tape and seeing this sleek, beautiful, impossibly poised creature staring back at me. And then when I popped it into my cassette player, it was just smooth, sumptuous heaven. “Saving All My Love for You,” “How Will I Know,” “Greatest Love of All.” So two years later of course I ran out and bought her follow-up, “Whitney.” The cover instead showed this bubbly, radiant woman. A smile as big as the sun, skin as delicious as the richest caramel. “Didn’t We Almost Have It All,” “Where Do Broken Hearts Go,” “So Emotional.” She sang about things I still hadn’t felt – love, heartbreak, passion – yet she made them feel very real and very present.

It was all, of course, because of that voice. That instrument from another dimension. So clear, so strong, so magnificent. Whitney didn’t need back-up dancers or pyrotechnic displays or whip cream-spouting bras. She just mesmerized. Years of singing the good word in the gospel choir taught her how to make the most joyful of noises. And with that joyful noise she became one of the biggest superstars on the planet. One of the one-named ranks. Still today, say “Whitney” and no one in the world thinks you’re talking about that awful NBC sitcom. Nope, you’re talking about Whitney. Sure, later years were less kind – and often in a spectacularly public way. And how we like to make sport of those who fall from such great heights. But never, ever was there any doubt that we were graced with a talent, a voice, that would ring through the ages. News this weekend of her passing hit me like a bolt. Because it wasn’t just a piece of my youth that left us, but a talent that made the universe stop and listen. And now she is gone. And I don’t really know what to say. But thank you, thank you for sharing your voice. I will miss it, always.


p.s. Also, because I can, please enjoy this slice of pop perfection. Precious little gave me more joy growing up than bouncing around my bedroom to this song. Dance along with me now, won’t you please.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, doll.

Shade said...

That voice. Brings back happy childhood memories. Can't help but take it personally.

Anonymous said...

It was always going to end this way. Sad..

Panty Buns said...

So very sad. Couldn't help but weep listening to her beautiful voice knowing she's gone. When the Grammys were on last night I didn't want to hear anything that wasn't by or about her. So often talents like hers aren't always fully appreciated until they're gone. I feel sorry for her daughter, poor thing. I hope the coverage continues to be of remembrances rather than speculation and blaming. Whitney Houston will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Her demons won in the end. But the world won for the years she sang for us and forever in the music she left us. RIP, Whitney.

Bent said...

I just watched the end of the Preacher's Wife. WOW, what a voice! I always noticed when she sang live, within moments, usually before she got to the chorus, there were beads of sweat forming on her cheeks. I thought that was the mark of the truly gifted. Only a handful of singers do this, and the only other I can think of this minute is Joss Stone. Don't know what this all means, but I do know I loved Whitney, and I will really miss her.

Anonymous said...

As usual, when you don't know what to say, you still say it perfectly. My heart is broken by her loss. That magical, stunning voice was the soundtrack to my childhood. Even though she's been "gone" from us for years, it's breathtakingly sad that it's permanent.

Carmen SanDiego said...

perfect as usual DS

Michelle said...

Thank you for this. Celebrities pass, but this one was personal. I owned her first album on cassette, as well. Whitney was a perennial part of my growing up years, and I've not been able to get her off of my mind since the terrible news broke. We will never forget. My god, that voice.

Anonymous said...

I loved Whitney. Still do. I cannot say enough good things about her. When talented people share their gift, the whole world becomes a better place.

I also have my memories of Whitney, and probably, I share many of them with you, Dorothy, and without knowing you, that binds us together. It gives us a common past. Whitney is part of all of us, entwining our lives and making them better.

The joy of her voice, what she gave me, can never be taken. Her lower moments can never touch how wondrous her highs where.

So, yes. Thank you, Whitney. May you rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I cried when I heard the news. That's how big a part of my childhood (and early adulthood) her voice has always been. You put all my feelings into words. Her voice was something else, something the world will never see again.

Anonymous said...

My first album...my first celebrity crush. Whitney ushered in a lot of firsts for me during my childhood. I still have t-shirts, scrapbooks, posters and an assortment of other memorabilia. It's a little hard to believe she's gone. I'll always remember where I was when I heard the news.

This was always among one of my favorite performances. Rest in peace, Whitney.

Norma Desmond said...

This was heartbreaking for me. The Bodyguard soundtrack was one of my first two CDs. I remember so clearly hearing "I Will Always Love You" on the radio and growing to love it more and more until I HAD to have it on CD.

I think the saddest part about it, though, is that she seemed to be really trying to turn things around. Her outlook was good, she sounded positive, she sounded hopeful, she was looking forward to the future... that's almost what hurts the most about it.

Anonymous said...

'And how we like to make sport of those who fall from such great heights.'

^^This. Determined to stop frequenting 'gossip' sites & so called 'news'papers that did nothing but sneer at this women in her last days when she so obviously needed help.

The public gets what the public wants? Well let's all make a stand & stop lowering ourselves to our basest level. Gossip, celebrity/pop culture, call it what you will, does not have to be mean spirited (look at DS) - DON'T STAND FOR IT. DON'T ADD TO IT.

Sorry to rant DS - guess my grief is now at that the angry stage :/

Anonymous said...

Very sad. Whitney certainly had a unique gift.
Weren't there rumors that when she was younger she had a special female friend? If true, I wonder if hiding that part of herself led to her drug and alcohol use. R.I.P.