Tuesday, July 19, 2011

God save the queens

Helen Mirren

God save the queens of England. After watching “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” last weekend, I reaffirmed my long-simmering Anglophilia. Heavens, the Brits are lovely. First of all, those accents. God damn, those accents. And they’ve got crisp composure about them. You know, that stiff upper lip thing. But then there’s that wonderful juxtaposition that can happen. Those proper accents, that cool exterior and then seemingly out of nowhere the they can say the most shockingly hilarious or absolutely filthy things. It’s the bawdiness under the sophistication that I think I enjoy the most. I mean, any dame who’ll wrap herself in a union jack flag and nothing else at age 65 and look better than most 25 years old doing it, well, that’s a woman you want to share a pint with – preferably more. A few more of my very favorite English lasses. Rule Britannia, baby.

Lena HeadeyAnd now I have to go rewatch “Imagine Me & You,” immediately.

Rachel WeiszOf course she married 007, just look at her.

Shelley ConnSome of you thought I didn’t give Shelley the proper love in the “Nina’s Heavenly Delights” post. Trust me, I love her good and proper.

Helena Bonham CarterSure, Bellatrix is totally evil and batshit crazy. But, admit it, also kinda sexy.

Kate WinsletSuch a pretty face, such a potty mouth.

Alex KingstonWhat I wouldn’t give to roll over and say, “Hello, sweetie.”

Kristin Scott ThomasDon’t you hate it when jam from your crumpet gets on your hand and you have to lick it off slowly? Wait, sorry, got the wrong word again – replace “hate” with “love.”

Julia OrmondI feel forever robbed by Showtime for not giving us a Julia/Eve Best love scene on “Nurse Jackie.”

Emma ThompsonFew people so fully embody a word as Emma does “delightful.”

Emma WatsonI always knew she would grow up, well, perfect.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all those ladies you posted up there...but please don't be fooled that everyone speaks the Queen's English and is simply lovely and eating crumpets all day... that's what I thought before moving here (UK)...what a shock! But don't get me wrong it's still a fun place to be...but you have to look for those "lovely accents" really really hard...

Florence said...

Great post. That picture of Kristin Scott Thomas made swallow my tongue, she's just delicious.
And thank you for Shelley Conn ;-)

Kelly said...

That is one of my favourite photos of Kristin Scott Thomas. ♥
She's so underappreciated.

Ami said...

Love the post.

BTW and FYI, from one anglophile to another, it's only called the Union Jack when it's flown at sea. Otherwise, it's just the Union flag.

alex dumas said...

Lovely post, Snarker. I have that trouble with my crumpets all the time.

Anonymous said...

Sweet sharing. I like this blog sharing. Thanks.

Watch Project Runway Episodes

erinjaws said...

What about Sophie Okonedo or Thandie Newton?

Anonymous said...

Sophie Okonedo looks like Lionel Ritchie.

Anonymous said...

And what about Cat Deeley and Lily Loveless and Kat Prescott??
I'm a Brit and I DO have a lovely accent!! Honest!

Anonymous said...

*whew* So glad I'm not the only one who thinks Bellatrix Lestrange is deliciously evil... accent on the DELICIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

Still feels icky to see young Emma up there!
Got to the echo sentiments re pic of Kristin ST though - gorgeous.

Oh & Ami are you British? Technically you are correct, our flag was originally supposed to be called Union Jack when at sea but I've never called it anything else nor heard any one else do so!
It's the Union Jack regardless here.

Heather Anne Hogan said...

I would comment on this post, but I'm passed out.

Dar said...

All I can say is mmmmmmmm and thank you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lena. Lena Headey. DAMN GIRL.

idgiepug said...

I love this list, but WHITHER THE SWINTON????

April said...

Seconding the Swinton-pining.

kab said...

just awoken from my swoon to ask the question: where's the Hot Cop?

Anonymous said...

You just hit on my three favorite British ladies: Helen Mirren, Emma Watson, and Kate Winslet. (Though I would love some Cate Blanchett in there as well).....Mmm Weekend crushed all over those

Norma Desmond said...

.......... *THUD* ..............

Stefanie - The Bookish Owl said...

Not everyone has posh accents here. In fact the majority don't. I'd like to see an American try and understand a Mancunian or Liverpudlian. It could be because I'm from the south but even I don't understand some of them. But yes us Brits are awesome :D

Anonymous said...

great choices, but where is nigella?

Ami said...

Not British, but lived there for 3 years and was corrected for using the term "Union Jack" more than once. Also, Doctor Who refers to it as the Union flag -- and that's the ultimate source, right? :-D

Laura said...

Amanda Donohoe! Nuff said really.

Patricia said...

Elaine Cassidy... both the accent and sexy nosetrils. Although I DO enjoy KSThomas speaking in french as well... (as she does often!)

Fin said...

Is it me or shouldn't that read 'stiff upper lip thing' rather than 'stuff upper lip thing'?

Anonymous said...

Too right! God save the Queen!

Will say, Lena Headey most definitely has one of the loveliest English accents in all the...EVER...perhaps only topped by Fearne Cotton.

I realize we're primarily talking actresses here, but I think the gorgeousness of her accent (and person, in general) deserves a mention...

Anonymous said...

What about Ruta Gedmintas and Heather Peace?

Estela Rengel said...

Geraldine Sommerville. Ireland is England too, isn't it? Ok, no, I know, but it's close to England, right?

kumiko mae said...

how perfectm these women..

Anonymous said...

Just to clear a couple of things up... I believe Julia Ormond is actually French. And to a previous commenter - Cate Blanchett is Australian ;-)